sexta-feira, 10 de agosto de 2012


Mixed Conditionals

 

Before you study this, make sure you understand second conditionals and third conditionals.

Second Conditionals

If I had a good job, I'd be rich.
This is an imaginary present situation, with its present result.

Third Conditionals

If I had studied medicine, I'd have become a doctor.
This is an imaginary past situation, with its past result.

Mixed Conditionals

A mixed conditional gives a situation and result - but one is in the past, and the other is in the present. For example:
If I had studied medicine at university, I'd be rich now.
This is an imaginary past situation, with an imaginary presentresult.

Imagined Past SituationImagined Present Result
if + had(n't) + past participlewould(n't) + verb (infinitive)
If we had taken the car,we wouldn't be late.

Imagined Present SituationImagined Past Result
if + past simplewould(n't) + have + past participle
If I didn't love him,I wouldn't have marriedhim.

As with all other conditionals, it doesn't matter which half of the sentence comes first:
If I didn't love him, I wouldn't have married him.
= I wouldn't have married him if I didn't love him.
The teacher wouldn't be tired now if she had gone to bed early.


From: The Tiny TEFL Teacher

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário