domingo, 5 de agosto de 2012


Future "Simple" and "Continuous"

 

Futures with "will"


Will can be simple, continuous or perfect. It depends on whether the action has started or finished at a time in the future.
At six o'clock, ...
... I'll do my homework.
(simple = starts at 6 o'clock)
... I'll be doing my homework.
(continuous = started before 6, not finished)
... I'll have done my homework.
(perfect simple = finished before 6 o'clock)
... I'll have been doing my homework for 2 hours.
(perfect continuous = started before, not finished, "how long" emphasised)

Don't forget: "will" doesn't just mean "future". It is used for predictions, which can also be in the present:
I think my brother will be sleeping at the moment.

"Future Simple"

Simple means "the whole action". When we use it with a time, it means the action starts at this time. This example means that the aeroplane leaves at midnight.
At midnight tomorrow, I'll fly to Greece.

"Future Continuous"

Continuous means "in progress". This example means that the flight starts before midnight, and finishes after midnight. At midnight, it is in progress. We use it with a point of time, and we don't say "how long".
At midnight tomorrow I'll be flying to Greece.

We make the future continuous with will + be + verb-ing
+He 'll be working at 11 o'clock tomorrow.
-He won't be working at 11 o'clock tomorrow.
?Will he be working at 11 o'clock tomorrow?

From: The Tiny TEFL Teacher

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário