quarta-feira, 23 de maio de 2012

How to ask for the time



We're all, it seems, obsessed by time. It’s part of our everyday lives. If we know the time it can stop us from being late and missing important moments. 

We can check the time on watches, clocks and even our phones. But what if you don’t have any of these? What if, for example, you are at a bus stop and you need to know what time it is now? How should you ask a complete stranger? Find out how to do it.




Vocabulary connected with time
To be on time:
to arrive at the correct time and not be late 

Examples:

The trains here are never on time. They're always late.
We're leaving at 10.00 sharp. So be sure you're on time. 

To be in time (for something):
to arrive early enough (for something)

Examples:
I don't use an alarm clock but I always wake up in time for the 7 o'clock news on the radio.
Sorry, I won't be home in time for dinner, I have to work late at the office.

To kill time
to do something to make time appear to pass more quickly

Examples:
The film doesn't start for another 2 hours, so we'll have to kill time for a bit.
On my way back from Australia I had a lot of time to kill at Singapore Airport - the shopping was great!

in (next to) no timevery soon, very quickly

Example:On my bike I can get to the Sports Centre in next to no time. It takes longer by car because of the traffic.
Asking for the time
 What time is it? 
Excuse me,
Sorry,
have you got the time
do you have the time 
please?


Other vocabulary
mate
friend 

Examples:

I first met Pete at school. We've been mates ever since then.
On Friday nights I usually go out to a club with a few mates. 

mate
informal way to address a stranger

Examples:
Excuse me mate, have you got the time?
Excuse me mate, have you got a light?



From: BBC Learning English - http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário