segunda-feira, 21 de novembro de 2011

When do we use Rather in English?


Hello, guys and gals!
Today I'm going to talk a little about "rather". So, when do we use this word?
Here you have a summary:
A) We use rather as an adverb of degree:

Modifying an adjective:

• The film was rather good.


Modifying an adverb:

• It happened rather quickly.


Notes:

1. It is stronger than fairly, but not as strong as very.

2. It can modify a noun, often coming before the article:

3. It's rather a problem.

4. It can modify some verbs: I rather like it.




B) To express preference.

Rather than:

Rather than is normally used to compare parallel structures:

• Let's take the train rather than the bus.

• Rather you than me!

• I decided to write rather than email.


Would rather:

Would rather + infinitive without 'to':

• I'd rather leave now.

Would rather + pronoun + past tense:

• I'd rather he came early.

That's all for today!
See you,
Teacher Jô

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário