Have you ever experienced any difficulties in distinguishing like/as when writing a composition? So, I have prepared a great post for you all to understand it once and for all.
1. Like + noun/pronoun (=similar to)
* She sings like an angel.
* She was dressed exactly like me.
* Like most people, I'd rather be on an everlasting holiday.
* He's a lawyer, like his sister. (=the same as)
* Unlike you, I'm not a great dancer. (= different from)
* He's good at science subjects like maths/such as maths. (giving an example)
2. As + clause/prepositional phrase (=in the same way)
* Nobody knows her as I do.
* We often drink tea with our meal, as they do in China.
* He got divorced, just as his parents had done years before.
* On Thursday, as on Friday, the meeting will be held in room B.
* This year, as in previous years, tickets sold out very quickly.
3. As + noun (when expressing function or rule)
* He worked as a waiter for 2 years.
* Please, don't use that knife as a screwdriver.
* We used the boxes as tables and chairs.
* It could be used as evidence against him.
4. As if = As though + clause (to say what a situation seems like)
* It looks as if it's going to rain.
* He acted as though he was in charge.
* They stared at me as if I was insane.
5. As + clause (to express actions or situations that take place at the same time = while)
* As I was having my breakfast, there was a loud noise coming from the toilet.
* I bumped into him as I was window-shopping the other day.
* He gets more attractive as he gets older.
6. As + clause (= because/since)
* As it was getting late, I decided to book into a hotel.
* You can go first as you're the oldest.
7. As + clause (in fixed expressions)
* As we know, we only allow outstanding service.
* We'll stick to the rules of admission, as we agreed.
* As you suggested, there's no better way to make everyone satisfied.
* As I was telling you, I wouldn't go for it.
* As I was saying, I think the proposal needs further consideration.
* As it is often the case with children, she got better the moment she entered the doctor's office.
Hope you like it!