domingo, 28 de agosto de 2011

Idioms for Kids

Hello, guys and gals!
Que tal um pouco mais de idiomsHoje postei umas expressões idiomáticas bem simples, especiais para kids. Mas você pode estudá-las também, e fazer o exercício de fixação que está no fim do post.

Idioms 

1. A Bird In The Hand Is Worth Two In The Bush
 
- Having something that is certain is much better than taking a risk for more, because chances are you might lose everything.



Example:


A: "Dan has asked me to go to a party with him. What if my boyfriend finds out? I don't know if I should go."
B: "Don't go. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

2. A Blessing In Disguise

 
- Something good that isn't recognized at first.



Example:


A: "The hotel is full tonight; we will need to find a new place to stay."
B: "Maybe it's just a blessing in disguise; I've been wanting to try a new place anyway."

3. A Chip On Your Shoulder

 
- Being upset for something that happened in the past.



Example:


"He lost his game this morning, and now he has a chip on his shoulder."

4. A Dime A Dozen

 
- Anything that is common and easy to get.



Example:


A: "Do you think I should buy this now and bring it with us?"
B: "Don't bother; those are a dime a dozen where we are going."

5. A Drop in the Bucket

 
- Something that is not important because it is very small.



Example:


A: "I'm sorry I scratched your car."
B: "Don't worry about it. It's just a drop in the bucket. That car has more scratches on it than I can count."

Exercise:

1. A: "I lost my job and was upset at first, but I found a better one and have been much happier since."
B: "Losing your job was just __________!"

2. A: "Look what I found!"
B: "That's nothing special; those are __________."

3. "I'd like to do something to change the world, but whatever I do seems like __________."

4. "Tom had a tough time growing up, so he's got a bit of __________."

5. A: "I've been offered $250 for my stereo. Should I take it, or wait for a better offer?"
B: "Take the $250. __________." 



Resposta no próximo post.


See you!
Teacher Jô

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário